Culture Shock!


BY AMY HO

Staff Blogger
Monday, March 25, 2013

I spent a month last summer in Budapest living with Hungarians and people from other cultures. I spent the last weekend living in a hotel room and interacting pretty much solely with Indians, some of whom actually live in India. Yet somehow, despite not understanding Hungarian or any Bollywood references, the biggest culture shock of my life has still been coming here to Yale.

I’ve had a relatively American upbringing: I was born and raised in the United States, in a small suburb in New Jersey, and I went to public school. My parents weren’t tiger parents; I was allowed to go to sleepovers, and nobody ever sat across the table from me to watch me and make sure I did my homework.

At the same time, however, my first language is Mandarin Chinese. Because my parents were too busy with work, my maternal grandparents took me back to China with them when I was only a year old. We returned after a year and a half, but made regular months-long trips back to the “Mother Country” every summer. Beyond constantly returning to China, I lived with my immigrant parents and maternal grandparents at home, which meant that our household primarily spoke Chinese instead of English. Once I started attending school, I spoke English during the day with my classmates and teachers, but came home to Chinese language and Chinese food. Even at school, because of advanced placement and honors classes, more than half of the people I regularly interacted with were also Chinese American. I also attended Chinese school on Saturdays, and my dance, art, and music teachers were all Chinese.

This pattern of being an American for barely a third of my time and then being Chinese the rest of the time lasted from when I was five until I came to Yale. Suddenly, I was American 24/7.

The culture shock didn’t set in until a couple of months into first semester. College was such a completely new experience that the lack of Mandarin being spoken (I didn’t take a language class) and the absence of Chinese food were not terribly noticeable in and of themselves. It wasn’t until I got used to the schedule of classes, extracurricular activities, homework, and social life that I realized how much I missed using chopsticks, playing Chinese chess, and snacking on dried fruits.

Upon this realization, I began trying to reconcile my strong sense of nationalism and cultural pride with my very American lifestyle—which resulted in yet another culture shock, this time when I went home for spring break. Because my uncle and cousin had just immigrated to America from China a few weeks ago and were living with us, the household was more culturally Chinese than it had ever been before. I hadn’t spoken Mandarin in months, resulting in forgotten phrases and grammatical rules. I didn’t know how to explain my college life in a way that would allow my family to relate, a difference in lifestyle that was made all the more clear when one of my non-Asian college friends came to visit for a few days.

To be honest, I’m still struggling with how to combine my cultural heritage with living in America. It’s a constant process of rediscovery and cultural discomfort as I realize that there is no comfortable medium, no way in which I will not feel like an outsider in both cultures at one point or another. While this sounds really depressing, the key, then, is to appreciate the merging of cultures and constant opportunity for growth.

I’m not quite there yet, but I’m working on it. In the meanwhile, I’ll be teaching all my friends how to play Chinese chess.

Leave a respond

Post a Comment